17 Lab Exercise: Reflective Analysis (Communication)
LAB EXERCISE: REFLECTIVE ANALYSIS (COMMUNICATION)
For lab exercise you will:
- Increase knowledge of how voice and body language components contribute to effective interprofessional communication.
- Embrace a willingness to critique own communication weaknesses.
- Display the motivation to improve interprofessional communication skills.
- TAKE THE QUIZ on communication skill that is provided by your instructor.
- TAKE THE QUIZ on communication styles that is provided by your instructor.
- REVIEW AND REFLECT on the meaning of the assessment results concerning your communication skills and your predominant communication style.
- WRITE answers to the following questions as they relate to one of the assessments; either your communication skill or your communication style.
- What about the quiz result surprised you?
- What did you learn about your communication skills and/or communication style?
- How does this new learning about yourself and/or communication connect with past/present experiences?
- IDENTIFY areas of professional development concerning your communication skill and/or communication style.
- REVIEW the information provided here concerning SMART Goals.
- WRITE 1-2 SMART goals concerning your communication for interprofessional practice.
- SMART stands for:
- Specific (simple, sensible, significant)
- Measurable (meaningful, motivating)
- Achievable (agreed, attainable)
- Relevant (reasonable, realistic and resourced, results-based)
- Time bound (time-based, time limited, time/cost imited, timely, time-sensitive).
EXAMPLE SMART goals:
An example SMART goal has all of the S-M-A-R-T components. Here are 2 examples:
- STUDENT Goal – By April 23, 20XX (by graduation), increase (my) knowledge of effective patient education concerning nutrition as demonstrated by certificate from a module; and reading relevant materials, and developing my own mock patient education handout that includes meal planning calendar and a food diary.
- PATIENT Goal – By February 14, 20XX, increase knowledge of self-care concerning nutrition and the intake of liquids as demonstrated by 2-week food and activity diary that is shared with primary care provider at the February 14, 20XX outpatient appointment.
- How will you apply this new learning to your healthcare profession-related practice and/or your role as an interprofessional team member (WRITE a SMART goal)?
RUBRIC – SMART Goal(s) for Communication
|0-10||SMART goal(s) is/are written as one sentence.|
|0-2||SMART goal(s) is/are specific.|
|0-2||SMART goal(s) is/are measurable.|
|0-2||SMART goal(s) is/are achievable.|
|0-2||SMART goal(s) is/are relevant.|
|0-2||SMART goal(s) is/are time-bound.|
LeadershipIQ. (2022, January 03). Communication styles quiz and research: Which of these different communication styles do you use? https://www.leadershipiq.com/
Merrihew, M. (2017, August 4). The importance of setting SMART goals. Retrieved August 02, 2022, from https://www.hydratemarketing.com/
Mindtools. (2021, June 20). How good are your communications skills? Speaking, listening, writing, and reading effectively. https://www.mindtools.com/